Thursday, March 30, 2006

I'm Teething and My Carrier is Just Right for Chewing

Hi All,
It is Thursday night here so that means early Thursday morning for CA. Jeff and I can't believe we have been here a week already. It has gone by fast and slow at the same time and we can't wait for the next week to go by so we can get home to our boys. We miss them terribly. Lizzie loves to look at their pictures, but Jeff and I get so homesick looking at them.
Lizzie is relaxing more and more. She and Jeff are about the same today, but she is really starting to get comfortable with me. It's great that she is bonding and we know in time it will be to both of us. Joanna, our guide, thinks that Lizzie is not used to facial hair and that Jeff's goatee is throwing her off. She still is happy to take food from him and toys from him, but if he holds her at all she cries. Today twice I had to run to the bathroom and I could hear her crying outside. Jeff is being so patient with her. He is such a good daddy. He is giving her plenty of space while staying as involved as much as he can. He is the "Sherpa". He has mastered making the bottle, packing the backpack, and handling all the paperwork since Lizzie doesn't want me too far from her.
We have been out and about Wuhan more the last couple of days. We have found two different local resturants that we like a lot. The food is delicious and so cheap. Tonight we went to dinner with five other adults and two other babies and ordered seven dishes, beer, soda and mineral water. The bill came to $3 dollars a person. Trying to order is an adventure. Our chicken tonight came with it's head and feet still attached, but once you got past that it was really yummy. Lizzie is an amazing eater. Really, Cooper and Nate you two won't have to teach her to try new foods! We haven't seen her turn down one thing yet. She ate braised tofu tonight along with chicken, fried rice, dumplings, and watermelon. Watching her and her other pals from Huangmei eat noodles is so cute! They obviously have been fed noodles quite a bit. They just suck them right in. No cutting up spaghetti for this one.
The people in Wuhan are fascinated by our travel group. Whenever we go anywhere we get stared at quite a bit. And it's not like America where if you catch someone staring at you they look away or smile. These people just stare and stare. We were even circled by a couple of women today. They never smiled or spoke, just circled us and stared. People love Lizzie. I don't know if it is the cheeks or what, but she gets all kinds of attention. Tonight at the resturant the waitresses immediately swooped in to hold her again as soon as we walked in. I was so tired from carrying her all day that I just let them hold her. But she wanted none of it. After a few seconds she started to reach for me and cry. Victory! She has also stopped "auditioning" for a Chinese family. She hides her head in my chest when people approach.
Traffic here is amazing. I had heard, but seeing is another story. Cars, bikes, pedestrians, mopeds, and buses all use the same street. Lanes seem very loose here. Also red and green street lights and pedestrian lights seem to be recommended but definitely optional. Jeff and I wait for our green light and pedestrian crossing sign to light up, but you still have to dodge traffic when you cross. If you waited for it to be clear, you would never get to cross the street. Sidewalks are used for parking. It is really wild. But it seems to work for everyone.
We went to the Hubei Provincial Museum today as well as the Hubei Turquoise Factory. The Turquoise was dug out of the hills of Hubei and while Turquoise is not rare in the states Jeff and I picked up a bracelet for Lizzie so she could have something from her province when she is older. The museum was fascinating as well and had a beautiful bell concert. Lizzie wasn't too impressed with the bells so she and I had to leave about half way through. China has so much amazing history. So many of their stories and artifacts have such mythical roots. It is fascinating to listen to the stories. Ivan, another of our guides gives us history lessons and tells stories while the bus takes us all over. It makes us realize how relatively "new" the USA really is compared to a history like China.
Well I am off to bed. Lizzie woke up last night about 1:00 am and needed to be walked for about a half an hour. She was so sad. So I had better jump into bed while I can. Goodnight everyone! Cooper and Nate we sure love you. Cooper enjoy your Spirit Assembly today. I am so proud that you get to stand up twice!! Nana promised she would take pictures for me and Daddy. Nate, clap loud for your brother. And boys have fun with Grandma for the next two days. We will try to call you at Grandma and Grandpa's house this weekend. I know they can't wait for you to come visit. We love you.

6 comments:

Stacey T. said...

Wow, a week already! You are halfway there!!! Sounds like everything is going well! I can't wait to meet the peanut!!

Catherine said...

I am really enjoying reading your blog and getting to know Lizzie. The details of your trip that you're sharing are wonderful. I'm just DTC this month so probably 14-18 months from travelling. :o( Until then, I'll enjoy reading blogs such as yours to keep me going and learn all I can.

I love how you chat to your boys and encourage them each day. You're wonderful parents and your children are blessed to have you!

I recently attended an adoption seminar and they mentioned about facial hair scaring the babies. I almost posted that yesterday but didn't want to be too forward since we've not really met.

In time it will come and it's wonderful to hear how Lizzie is opening up to Daddy each day. If you can read websites while in China, a new Dad posted some great stuff last week about how he and his wife are encouraging their daughter to bond with both of them and it seemed to be working really well. If you're interested, their website is: http://homepage.mac.com/andersenscott/The_Cady_Chase//

I learned a lot from them.

Looking forward to reading more as your family grows more and more in love every day.

Blessings, Catherine
Ontario, Canada

M3 said...

Hi guys! One week down, you're halfway there. Lizzie looks so cute in the pictures, and I love reading your posts.

Take care and see you soon!

Donna said...

I'm loving your blog! You're so good at writing and it's taking me back to our trip last summer. Especially the parts about being the only one the baby will allow to hold her! It's flattering but exhausting, huh!

I'm lovin' the pictures too! Lizzie gets even cuter by the hour!

:)

Donna

Mom to brown eyed kids said...

Glad to hear things are going so well for you guys! What wonderful evidence of bonding...WOO HOO! Lizzie looks to be enjoying her multi-functional teether/carrier. Cannot wait to meet her and see you all! LOve you lots, Eddy, Nat and Charlie

Jeff's Place said...

Seems like just yesterday we were all at the park with you guys saying you were leaving soon. WOW that was a fast week.
When we traveled to get Suzanne she was getting so much attention and we didn't really understand until we reached Guangzhou and someone told us she had "Butterfly lips, rosie cheeks, and a chubby tummy"...followed by "Gooooood Babbbbby, Lucky Baby!"
I almost gave her a hug! Because I couldn't understand anyone else.
Jeff try to get Lizzie to "play" with your goatee. Maybe she will warm up faster???
Safe travels guys!
Jeff S.