Let's start with the good...Thursday
- We went to the cabin and there was tons of snow!!
Nate relaxing in a snow bank
Cooper getting ready to sled
Lizzie nibbling new snow
- Cooper, Nate, and Lizzie loved playing in the snow with their cousins and making their own sled run.
Jeff and his dad working on a snow fort
Jeff & Grandpa & The Finished Fort
- We had a delicious and relaxing Thanksgiving Dinner with Jeff's parents, sister, our nephews and Great Grandpa Rollo.
Friday
- After a lazy morning, we went to the ski resort and got season passes for all and rental equipment for the kids. Two long lines and no meltdowns. The kids did great too.
Pre-Skiing
On the way to the resort
Super Excited!
Friday Afternoon
(This is where our Thanksgiving weekend takes a turn for the worse...)
- Nate gets run over (literally) by an speeding snowboarder on our second run of Opening Day.
- His collar bone (more specifically his right clavicle) was broken in the tumble.
- The snowboarder was unapologetic and in fact blamed Nate for "cutting her off". Anyone who skiis or snowboards knows the safety rule of the hill is to always look out for who is in front of you since they can't see you coming. Especially if they are half your size and nine years old.
- I sort of lost my cool and may have said a bad word.
- Said Snowboarder left before ski patrol got there and never asked if Nate was okay. Ski Patrol tried to track her down since it is considered a hit and run misdemeanor, but couldn't find her.
- Jeff and I spent the rest of Friday afternoon and evening at the Children's Hospital of Central Valley in Madera, which is wonderful by the way. If you ever find yourself needing a children's hospital in the Fresno, Clovis, Madera area go to this hospital. They had Nate in, x-rayed, doped up on Tylenol with Codeine, and out the door in 90 minutes. Jeff and I were impressed. They were also very kind and gentle with him.
Saturday, was better.
- Nate spent the day resting. He watched a movie in bed, and played a little Wii with his good arm.
- We had a lovely little storm, probably two to three more inches of snow. My sister-in-law and I made Hot Buttered Rum. Jeff took Cooper, Lizzie and the cousins for a snow shoe hike. They also played and sledded for hours. Nate was a little sad to watch them out the window, but I think he was too sore to want to do much.
Sunday
- We made the trip home and Nate did fine. I think the Tylenol with Codeine helped quite a bit.
Nate, resting at home, sling under his shirt
Five days later, Nate is doing better. Within 24 hours he figured out a way to play his Nintendo DS without pain. We saw a pediatric orthopedist on Monday and his clavicle is doing just what it should be doing. Nate has to wear the sling until Dec. 22nd when we take our next x-ray. Hopefully, he will be all healed up by then. He is being quite the trooper and has hardly complained. He's back at school and figured out how to do his school work by leaning forward and resting his arm on his desk. The hardest part is taking shirts on and off. I feel terrible when he flinches each time.
Being Nate means always finding the positive in any situation. Jeff let him pick a new Wii game since he was injured. Monday afternoon he said to me as he was playing PacMan Party, "I guess it's sort of lucky I broke my collar bone...otherwise I would never have this game and it's really fun!!"
1 comment:
Oh no!!!! So sorry Nate. (I'm so ticked off at that snowboarder -- you must have been livid. Ugh!!)
Post a Comment