Campout Under the Stars
Cooper and Nate have spent the week doing all things outdoorsy at a camp called Walden West. Each day I have dropped them off with a backpack full of extra clothes, swim suit, towel, water bottle, lunch and ice cream money. They have come home each night to regale us with tales of skits and songs and activities. Thursday night this camp traditionally has a Family BBQ and then the Overnight. Our brave little campers decided that they wanted to participate in this adventure as well.Jeff and I drove up to Walden West's Family BBQ (twenty minutes into the Santa Cruz mountains) armed with sleeping bags, warm clothes, flashlights, tarps and toothbrushes. We knew they would need all, but the latter. Who are we kidding...they are seven and ten year old boys. They are not going to brush their teeth unless a counselor holds a gun to them. We got their sleeping bags rolled out and covered with a tarp. We got them bundled into warm clothes with jackets. We gave them big hugs and kisses and told them to have a great time. We settled them in the outdoor amphitheatre with their groups. Then we did the parental walk to the parking lot.
Well, truth be told, I doubled back and stealthly peeked at my kids through the trees to make sure they seemed happy. My husband called to me as he headed to the car, "Cut the cord!" I spied them giggling and smiling with all the rest of the campers as the counselors started the campfire and began the songs. Satisfied they weren't traumatized by our leaving I headed for the car. My super sensitive husband was sitting in the drivers seat reading email on his Blackberry.
On the way home I was pondering how the boys would do. They weren't sleeping together. Each group was sleeping on their own tarp "under the stars" in a big field surrounded by redwood trees. I would have been pretty freaked out at Cooper's age. I can't even imagine attempting this at seven and half. Jeff also agreed at Nate's age he wouldn't have been able to do it and would have probably changed his mind as it started to get dark and gone home. This was an option. It was a no pressure situation, but neither boy wanted to come home. There was going to be smores and a night hike. It was going to be a lot of fun and I think the camp plans to keep the kids moving until they drop at about 10:00 p.m. Even I knew they were most likely going to have a great time, I still fretted. Would they need to use the restroom in the middle of the night? Would someone take them? Would they be scared? Would they be cold? Jeff could tell I was worried.
Jeff: "What about you? Are you going to be able to sleep tonight?"
Me: "Well, I think so. I don't know. Do you think there are mountain lions close by?" (Newest horrible scenario pops into my head)
Jeff: "Yes. Sure they are."
Me: "Really?? Oh no...do you think there's a chance one could drag one of the kids away in the night?"
Jeff: "Yeah, there's always a chance..I mean it's pretty remote, but there are mountain lions and bobcats in the hills."
Jeff noticing for the first time my horrified expression. Remember, I mentioned the sensitive part?
Jeff: "But we put our kids in the middle. They are surrounded by other kids on the edge. A mountain lion would drag one of others off first."
Me: "Oh good."
Jeff: "See? Nothing to worry about."
I slept with my cell phone, plugged in, on its highest volume, right next to my head. Since it didn't ring all night long I assume they made it without being dragged off by a mountain lion. I'm pretty sure the camp would have called.

No comments:
Post a Comment