Monday, January 19, 2009


Our Newest Bookworm
Originally uploaded by rhondamt
More and more these days we are coming across Nate doing this ALL BY HIMSELF! At the beginning of the year Nate was struggling with reading. His big brother told him not to worry, he just hadn't hit his "reading explosion" yet. He's been on a slow, but steady burn for the last few months and just lately, is getting ready to "explode".

But lest you worry that our character Nate is becoming too subdued as he matures I have a couple of stories for you.

We had been regularly attending church, but post Christmas hadn't yet gone. Ski trips, Dad being dropped off at the airport, and one Sunday without Sunday School had made for three weeks missed(obviously what crazy person would take three kids to the adult service for a whole hour!?). So Saturday when I told the kids I was taking them to church the next morning Nate's mouth dropped open.

"Mom, I thought going to church was OVER!!"

or here's another one...

Friday when I picked Nate up from school his teacher pulled me aside to tell me that Nate had shared something with her that Cooper said to him and it had really hurt his feelings. The comment didn't sound like something Cooper would say, but I told her we would discuss it as a family when we got home. As soon as I had both boys together I started to bring it up only to interruped by Nate.

Nate: "Uh, Mom, you don't need to talk to Cooper. I've sort of been having a liiiiiitle problem with lying lately." This comment was accompanied with sheepish smile, and shrugging of the shoulders. You could almost hear him say, "Aw shucks...what's a guy to do?"

Me: "WHAT!?! You made up a story about your brother? You told your teacher a lie?

Nate:" Mom!! I have been having this problem, but no-one's been HELPING ME!!"

Awesome. Lest I get too over confident in my parenting I have Nate to constantly remind me what a crummy job I am doing. I actually love that he took this approach. I feel it could be a very effective tool in the future. No personal responsibility at all, rather an attempt at making the other person feel guilty for not helping.

"Your Honor! I have been having this big problem with Grand Larceny, but no-one has been HELPING ME."

I won't bore you with the resulting talk, tears(Nate's not mine), apology to Coop, fess up note to teacher, blah blah blah, but just know that Nate's newest New Year's resolution involves telling the truth AND taking personal responsibility for one's actions. Sheesh.

No comments: