Friday, June 20, 2008


Cooper-Nine Years Old
Originally uploaded by rhondamt
Cooper turned nine on Tuesday and I have to say I am having a difficult time with this birthday. All my childrens' birthdays make me feel equal parts happy and sad, but this one is making me more sad than usual. Nine means his childhood is half over. In another nine years I will be attending his high school graduation instead of picking him up from elementary school and taking him to McDonalds (the kids' choice!) He is such a big kid now. Really, no more little boy there.

I am so proud of him. He is such a sweet, kind, conscientious boy. He really tries hard. Not that he doesn't drive me absolutely insane sometimes too. But for all the times that he does, it doesn't come close to all the good. So here's a little about Coop at nine. He LOVES to read voraciously. He is treading into skateboarding and is working hard on a swim team too. His first meet was Wednesday night and much to my and his surprise he was bumped up to the nine year group without warning. So after practicing with the 8 year olds and gearing up for 25 meter races, he suddenly was on the blocks with nine and ten years olds(a couple of boys very close to eleven) and told to swim 50 meters and do a flip turn as well. The 8 year old team isn't required to do a flip turn and so Cooper hadn't even seen one, let alone practiced it. I talked to the head of the swim team about how he was being asked to do this without any preparation. They apologized, but rules were rules and since Coop turned nine the day before he had to swim the next level up. They said they "missed" him in all the paperwork and usually "age kids up" at the beginning so they are prepared at meets. Keep in mind that I specifically asked about this at the beginning of the season and was told they would "probably age him up later in the summer season". So I was internally having a fit, but kept it positive because I didn't want Cooper to think he was in a bad spot. Cooper was a star. He never complained, never whined, just got up on those blocks and went for it. And you know what? He did pretty well. He held his own as best as he could. He didn't even come in last on the back stroke. Jeff and I cheered him on, we were impressed with his swimming ability, but much more impressed by his great attitude.

1 comment:

Donna said...

When he's 18, you'll look back at the picture you posted today and wonder how in the world you ever thought there was no more "little boy" there. I look at him and I sure do see it!

My boy just turned 20 a few days ago. He's 6'4" and 180 pounds and has a scratchy face that must be shaved twice per day. But he's my kid still. We picked him up at his apartment (that we pay for because he's a full time college student) and we took him to dinner at his favorite pizza place. If there's any shred of boy left in my kid, there's surely a bunch of it left in yours.

Cherish it because it really isn't gone. You still have many wonderful years of childhood to enjoy (and survive!) with Cooper. I promise!

:)


Donna
Our blog: Double Happiness!