Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Literary Evening


Literary Evening
Originally uploaded by rhondamt
As I have mentioned before Cooper has become a voracious reader. One of his favorite series is the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Cofler. Artemis Fowl is a 12 year old criminal mastermind that travels in time, battles leprechauns, goblins, elves, and eventually becomes a good guy rather than a criminal through his adventures. Cooper has been anxiously awaiting the release of the sixth book The Time Paradox. So when I saw in the paper that my favorite children's bookstore was hosting Eoin Colfer for a evening of "Fairies, Fiends & Flatulence" ate the local community center along with a book signing I thought Cooper would enjoy it.

I underestimated how much Cooper would enjoy this. First off, there was no flatulence. Thank goodness. The author joked that he just threw in that third word into his title to attract boys to the show. Mr. Colfer spent over an hour telling hilarious stories about his childhood in Ireland with his three brothers and relating how the brothers and these experiences shaped characters in Artemis Fowl(a band of three goblins who end up in prison have almost identical names to Colfer's three brothers) and other stories he has written. He has three brothers, and two sons and all his stories were about the silly, crazy, funny, and at times gross antics of boys. Cooper was in hog heaven. Sometimes he was laughing so hard he could hardly catch his breath.

We waited in a long line to meet the author and get his personalized signature in Cooper's new book. It was almost 10 o'clock by the time we got home. We actually beat Jeff home from class which is rare! It was worth the loooooooong line. Cooper was thrilled. Hicklebees even handed out super cool Artemis Fowl pens that light up with a spooky green light. As I headed to my bedroom last night I saw a faint green glow coming from the top of Cooper's bunk bed. Already reading book six....who could blame him?

No comments: