Sailing the Open Sea
Cooper's fifth grade class went to Santa Cruz to sail with Oneill Sea Odyssey. This is a free program for schools (if you are lucky enough to be picked). It entails a sail on a catamaran and collecting sea water specimens, using navigational tools and learning all about sea life.
Cooper's teacher asked for parent volunteers and after much juggling I was able to foist find someone (aka Jeff, Nana, and wonder babysitter Kara) to take care of Nate and Lizzie the entire day. Cooper and I left his school at 7:15 a.m. ( I woke up to the moon!! The moon!! ) We returned home about 4:30 p.m. Parents were told there wasn't enough room to be on the boat, but that there was a very pleasant coffee shop nearby to wait. Sounded good to me.
Imagine my dismay delight to find that there was indeed room on the boat and parents could come. All the other parents looked very excited. I didn't want to be the only parent not to go. No Debbie Downer here. However I should say, I am not a sailor. I have always had queasiness with any type of floating device. Houseboats, sailboats, etc...Plus, I was promised a coffee shop. I was actually looking forward to sitting at the shop, sipping my coffee, watching the beach volleyball and waves. That sounded like my kind of field trip. Alas, it was not to be. Luckily, I brought Dramamine just in case and a half a tablet later I was ready to sail!
The weather fairies continue to sprinkle us with perfect weather. It rained, poured, just dumped the day before and for us, it was a beautiful clear, 59 degrees. Stunning day at the beach. Here's a few pictures...
Listening to safety rules, Cooper in the green hat and sunglasses
Learning about the Kelp Forest below them...Look at the gorgeous ocean!!
I took this picture for Jeff so he could be completely envious of my day. Yep, I am sweet that way.
This is a very popular surf spot in Santa Cruz.
Cooper Sailing the Open Sea
No comments:
Post a Comment