Monday, October 20, 2008

Conversations with Cooper

Cooper was asked to be a part of his school's Project Cornerstone team. This is a group of students who lead assemblies, make banners and provide leadership to other students to promote an "Anti-Bully" school atmosphere. Friday he attended a meeting at the district office with all of the district Project Cornerstone students. They watched a movie, brainstormed ideas, role played, etc...Cooper and I were discussing his meeting and the conversation ended on this note...

Me: So, Cooper, what kind movie did they show?

Cooper: Well, they showed all these different bullying problems.

Me: Bullying? Showed "Bullying"? How?

Cooper: Yeah, they showed a kid being a bully in a game and he was yelling at everyone and a kid being a bully in class who was whispering mean things. They showed this one kid getting beat up and another girl getting picked on in a circle of kids and the adults didn't even know because they thought they were just talking!

Me: Really? Wow...(Getting concerned...)

Cooper: Yeah, and they had all these interviews with men who were bullies and asked them questions about why they did it and they all said different stuff.

Me: That sounds kind of intense...

Cooper: Yeah, I guess so.

Me: Was it a little scary? (Mind you, I would have been scared to death by a movie like that in fourth grade)

Cooper: No. I wasn't scared.

Me: Really? It sounds a little scary.

Cooper: No, see Mom it was made in Canada.

Me: Okaaay...

Cooper: So, it wasn't scary. But, I won't be moving to Canada any time soon.



Heh.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi, Rhonda!
I facilitated the workshop Cooper attended last month. What a wonderful bit of "Asset Building" (Positive Family Communication, Asset #2) you two shared as you discussed the student training/workshop. I hope Cooper also shared with you the "Total Support" in the room on that day. It was just magical! Your students shared their concerns about bully behaviors and offered such creative and thoughtul solutions. They discussed Action Plans designed to promote a more caring school climate. Simple things like being a friend, being "there" for someone in need, saying and doing things to make everyone feel that they belong... I am really glad that Cooper had a memorable morning. Because bullying hurts, even if you are in Canada!